down the river

So my friend Dave rolls out to West Virginia tomorrow morning, to begin his new job. He came over for dinner last night, banana pancakes, deer sausage, and some crispy crowns. It feels sort of odd to say goodbye but necessary too. I got him Ed Abbey's collection of essays, "Down the River." And in some ways that feels like a pretty decent metaphor for friendships these days--that they're part of the current, never quite the same, always moving and shifting. Sometimes our lives get pooled up together--we have the opportunity to enjoy friendships in relative peacefulness--and sometimes we ride the rapids together, through the turbulent times. And sometimes we get separated, pushed back into isolation around this island or diverted into some canal. 'Goodbye' seems like a funny thing to say, because we're still riding the same river, and our paths will cross again.

In other, less reflective news, I like breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, waffles, french toast: all make for perfectly satisfying dinners. I draw the line at oatmeal, though. Oatmeal is a breakfast for the dawning of the day, a meal of both gravity and potential.

Thoreau: "Morning is when I am awake and there is a Dawn in me."

Comments

SarahC said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick said…
Isn't it, though? Plus, the first essay in the Abbey book is titled "Down the River with Henry Thoreau." I can be thoughtful, when it comes right down to it.
Somehow this reminds me: I haven't been reading Blue Like Jazz. It's in my car, waiting for construction season, or for those little 5 and 10 minutes occasions when I'm waiting on somebody, or for those days when I just decide that it's too nice not to stop off at the park. I'll get to it, though.
SarahC said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order