coaster

The past three days: Up up! Down. Up! Down.

Up up! On Thursday morning, Anne and I drove over to Cheyenne for the workshop we've been preparing for the past several months.  The roads were a bit scary for the first 20 miles, but we got there in plenty of time to set up before the writers showed up.  At the end of Day 1, things seemed to have gone really well: lots of laughing, a good bit of real engagement and thoughtfulness, and some signs of progress.

Down. By the end of Friday, I felt less positive about the amount of impact we were having on the writers.  I suppose this is entirely understandable: nobody gets "fixed" in 10 hours of writing instruction.  I should know that by now, and yet I really hoped the writers would go away from the workshop feeling that they had gained some real traction on improving their writing.  We'll sit down on Tuesday to review their evaluations, and hopefully we'll have a better sense, then, about how useful the sessions were for the participants.  So, I'm feeling down a bit about that right now.

Up! After two hard days of workshopping, I went down to Greeley to visit my sister and brother-in-law and niece.  Weeks ago, when I was thinking about a fitting post-workshop reward, I decided that getting to see my niece was about the best thing I could imagine.  She's pretty cute; it's hard not to be happy around her.

Down.  Driving home from Greeley I was struck by how lonely the past few weeks have been.  Lots of things are going well in my life lately, but those successes sometimes make me wish even more that I had someone to share with.  Serenity, courage, wisdom, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order