lovin' life

last night, on the way back from night-skiing with melissa, katie, and bryon, i said, "i don't know what i expected my life to look like at 33, but this definitely isn't it."  i mean, ten years ago i don't think i could've ever imagined how amazing and rich and full life feels to me right now.  ten years ago, i was a baby in so many ways.  i won't claim that i've "grown up," but i take it as a huge sign of maturity that i'm okay with where i amt today, and i'm even more okay with trusting that the experiences ahead of me will be even better.  i've spent a lot of my life trying to predict the future, and i think i'm finally realizing that the unpredictability is part of the wonder.

i admire my friends who are "settled down" and have kids and wives and lives that predict much of what the next steps of the years ahead will look like.  watching my niece grow up these past few years makes me realize that kids are their own lesson about unpredictability and beauty and wonder and fulfillment.  but right now, to me, fulfillment is an hour on the trails, headlamps off, four friends at peace, beneath a billion tiny stars.  this isn't the life i signed up for, but i'm damn lucky it's the life i have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order