more new music

My friend Mike suggested that I might listen to Mumford & Sons.  He's not the first to mention them to me, but he's got as broad a knowledge of the music landscape as anyone i know, and I trust his judgment.  He says: "They remind me of a British Avetts. On one hand, it sounds so ridiculous to hear that style of music emanating forth from a British mouth, as it seems so distinctly American. On the other, some of it is pretty good."

He's right.  I can't quite reconcile the idea of a "British Avetts," but--holy shit!--they've got some good stuff.  (Beyond the accent, I can't figure out why I wouldn't categorize them with the Avetts, but I wouldn't.  From a quick look at lyrics, I think there's something about subject matter that might be different.  I suspect I'll be listening to a lot more of them, though, so maybe I'll have a better answer in a while.)  Anyway, a sample of lyrics (from "Winter Winds":
 
Oh and pestilence is won when you are lost and I am gone
And no hope, no hope will overcome
And if your strife strikes at your sleep
Remember spring swaps snow for leaves
You'll be happy and wholesome again
When the city clears and sun ascends

And my head told my heart
"Let love grow"
But my heart told my head
"This time no"

------

And here's a clip of them singing "The Cave":


Yeah, I agree: pretty awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order