farm house sensibilities

A big part of the reason I love Wyoming is that there are so few people here. On the other hand, a big part of the reason I like visiting other places is for the sense of history they have. Old buildings are pretty inspiring. I remember in Germany seeing 500-year-old churches and trying to imagine what it must have been like when they dominated the landscape rather than just fitting into a modern-day skyline.

I didn't expect Indiana to feel so old, but W. Lafayette and Crawfordsville and Greencastle and Remington all felt, well, like they'd been around a while. Lots of old brick buildings, lots of old farmhouses, lots of old cemeteries. I'd like to go back there, some other spring, and have a long weekend just to look around, wander the streets, look around in the alleyways behind old brick storefronts, stroll around the fields around farmhouses and barns.

Also, water. I'm so unused to landscapes where there is actually water under the bridge. The saying "it's all just water under the bridge" doesn't make sense in Wyoming. When you cross a bridge with a sign on it that says "Rock Creek" you'll look down to find a rocks in the creek. No water. Here's an amazing picture of the Wabash River, which divides Lafayette from West Lafayette:I don't get any credit for this picture--I took it from this flickr site, which has some other really amazing Indiana sunset pics. And here's a pic from another flickr site of a beautiful brick farmhouse:

Structures like this are a rarity in Wyoming, and seeing them makes my heart ache a bit--they're so beautiful, so evocative of some past that I'll never understand. On the other hand, we've got Medicine Bow Peak, and the Wheatland valley, and Thunder Basin, and those are landscapes I do understand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order