Banjo!

Today on the way back from the gym I heard on WPR an interview with Tony Furtado, who said he'd be playing Coal Creek tonight. Seems like I'd heard that this Furtado dude had played on campus sometime last year, but I couldn't remember. Then I jumped out of the truck and went inside before I had a chance to listen to any of his music and sort of forgot about it.

Then, this afternoon I happened to see my friend Scott in the library and mentioned the show. On the strength of Scott's entirely positive recommendation (something like, "The guy puts on a really great show! Man, you should definitly go.") I decided to hit it up tonight. Kaijsa came along, and Melissa showed up later. We ended up fighting for a table that opened when we arrived (a fight which was peacefully settled by sharing the table with a couple of other people and Kaijsa's quick work to snag one more chair), and by the time Tony was 20 minutes into his set I'd estimate there were 100 people packing the place.

I haven't been to a lot of concerts, but I've definitely never seen a better guitar player. This guy is absolutely amazing--such clean sound, even though he's picking riffs that seem to approach supersonic complexity. Free, on a Tuesday night, in a little coffee shop. Not bad, Laramie. Not bad.

Listen here: http://www.myspace.com/tonyfurtadomusic. Since I love covers, you know I'm gonna recommend listening to his version of Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream." Then I'm gonna recommend listening to the other songs on his online playlist, and then I'm gonna recommend buying one of his cds. I'm considering his album 13.

Comments

Kaijsa said…
Thanks for suggesting this. You should look here http://hypem.com/search/tony%20furtado/1/ and listen to some mp3s to help you decide which album to buy first.

And I agree "Another Man" is excellent.

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order