the last hot dog

I'm glad I didn't let myself be overruled by an overdeveloped sense of responsibility today. I probably should've stayed home and graded, but instead I rode out with Melissa and Mark and Meg to the annual Centennial poker run. In the other car were Naomi, Yao, Yugi, and Yuki, with their snowshoes. It was great. We started out at the Trading Post, then crammed nine of us into the back seat and bed of a Chevy Colorado for a ride up to the top of the Barber Lake road, and then shared the xc trail with about 400 or 500 other skiers and snowshoers. On the trail I saw Christie, who I haven't seen since my sophomore year of college, Larry O Boram, Marissa and Emily, Pat and Cara, and various other crazies. We stopped every half-mile or so to chug one of the PBRs we'd stuffed in our packs, and at the second station Melissa and I laid claim to the last two free hot dogs and two of the last free Busches. Once we caught the shuttle back down to Centennial, we filled out our poker hands (I'm guessing that Yao's four queens might have won some take-home money) we ordered up a couple pizzas, caught the last song by the Ozark Mountain Ramblers and a good bit of whoever followed them, and had a generally great time. I can't believe that in 20 years of the Murf the Surf Poker Run, I'm just now getting around to my first slide down the hill. Great fun, good people, and a worthwhile cause. My kind of day.

Comments

Rick said…
by the time I got there it was already down to bits, so I actually had to recreate a hot dog from the pieces. Reconstituted reconstituted meat product, mmmm.
Anonymous said…
What an awesome day!

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order