Groundhog

I don't know what the groundhog's day report was this year. I do know that yesterday felt like a winter day for a change, and most of this last week we had some of those wonderful, deceptively bright Wyoming days, the kind that fool you into thinking it'll be nice and warm and then you step out into it and, man, shivers.

Somehow the coinciding of winter weather and valentine's day seems appropriate this year. After the gumbo event last night, I took a walk in the inch-or-so of fresh powder, then just sat on a bench in Washington Park for about twenty minutes, just watching the flakes come down, lit in part by the living room lights of couples sharing a lovers day together. I alone, cold, outside; they together, cozy, inside. In other years I'd see those two ways of spending the evening as opposite ends of a scale, with my own position on the less-preferable end. The winter weather this year, though, brought a clarity and a freshness to the beauty of my position--not less preferable, just preferable in a different way.

The gumbo event was great. I'm glad Libby invited people over to share her great cooking and her hospitality, and the company of other cool people. I'm glad Josh and I made the stumbling five-block trip to The Still to replenish the wine supply, and that Bison pointed out Libby's cool giraffe painting that I'd have otherwise missed, and that Kaijsa was able to venture out into the world again after being cooped up sick for a week, and that Tessa brought her sisters out for the event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order