Tide's turning

So tonight I saw my first HGTV show about a house that didn't sell. I take this as a sure sign that the real estate run-up is running down.

Of course, the house was in Denver, in some neighborhood that was "supposed" to get gentrified.
Of course, the dude bought it in the winter, when all the homeless guys were sleeping under the bridge, instead of hanging out on his front yard, where they showed up once it got sunny.
Of course, he did roll $20k of personal debt into his mortgage, which was one of the interest-only deals (or some similarly unbeatable offer), so that he owed more on his mortgage than his house was worth even when he bought it.
Of course, taggers spray-painted the other side of his duplex while the house was on the market.
Of course, he had to cancel his initial open house because he effed up and thought his primer was actually an attractive grey paint color. Or something like that.
Of course, his newly-certified real estate "friend" offered to sell his house for him, and found an appraiser who estimated it at $45k more than the duded had paid. Then a house across the street went up for sale at half of his listing price.

So, for a lot of reasons, maybe the dude wasn't the sharpest rock in the quarry. But I bet HGTV would've been horrified to tell a story like this one a few months ago. I predict that a lot of HGTV's shows are going to disappear soon, probably to be replaced by such exciting TV as "Creative ways to duck your mortgage payments" and "How to apply makeup to a pig." And by pig, I mean your house. not your pit bull, your soccer mom, or your running mate.

Speaking of pigs, it's ironic that someone would criticize Obama for being the "novelty" candidate and then gush about how great Palin is. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Palin VP pick is the brilliant political move of the century: she's even better proof than Britney's Pears that any press is good press. Somehow people are convinced that her lack of experience makes her even more of an "agent for change" than our man Obomba.

Ok. I will now attempt to avoid all reference to any of the ridiculous coverage Palin directly or indirectly draws for the GOP. I will say, though, that I now know roughly how many people cross Tongas Narrows by ferry, per year, in order to access Ketchikan International Airport: 350,000. So at least I am learning something as a result of the intensively intellectual and sophisticated campaigns this year.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is much time to have and pay your house. And I like FSBO sites too. And I found really great site!!!!! It was called Fizber. I think the best service was real estate forms at http://www.fizber.com/real-estate-forms.htm.
Rick said…
really? this is the comment i get about my post? a spambot posting? hells.
Kaijsa said…
I know, it sucks. Good, interesting post, though. See what I miss not having teevee?

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order