eighty-one percent

Now, a week after the big damage, I'm gonna say that the ankle feels like it's about 81%. In other words, not a whole lot of progress. The amount of blood that seeped all the way down to my toes and a third of the way up my calf may (may!) indicate that something is damaged worse than I first guessed. Swelling's been down the last two days. There's a weird spot at the back of my foot that continuously burns, just above the heel bone I'd say. Behind the talus and above the calcaneus, to be more precise. And a spot at the front of the talus, too, that burns a bit.

According to one site, getting a massage early on increases the swelling and bleeding. I wonder about a week afterward, though. Seems like a massage could work out a lot of the blood that's hanging around down at my toes.

In more-or-less unrelated news, I walked around most of yesterday at the Woodchoppers Jamboree in Wyoming's twin cities, Riverside and Encampment. In the morning: much cutting of wood, in various ways (two-person hand saw, modified power saw, two-person standing fall, one-person-standing-on-top-of-a-log-hitting-it- with-an-axe-and-then-turning-around-and-hitting-it-some-more, etc.). In the afternoon was rodeo. The region's summer-shindig royalty (Jubilee Days queen and lady-in-waiting, Woodchopper Jamboree queen and lady-in-waiting, Neversummer queen and lady-in-waiting, etc.) were persuaded to enter the women's two-person hand saw event. Rad! Apparently it takes about five strokes with the big saw to get the hang of it. Then, look out: those girls could pull! I think the royalty from Walden ended up with a faster time than either of the two 'serious' pairs who'd entered.

The crowd at the Jamboree was a bit different than the people who showed up to UW's summer theatre and dance production ("Cockeyed"), though I can't quite say why. Part of it: over in Riverside/Encampment, almost every person who was my age was being followed around by a couple of kids, kids old enough to walk. In contrast, none of my graduate students (and recently finished graduate students) have one kid, much less two or three old enough to walk. Also, I'm so rarely around people who have mechanical aptitude: it's exciting to be around a whole group of dudes (and at least a couple of chicks) who obviously are really excited about figuring out how to "hot" up a saw so it'll cut three passes through a 10-by-10 cant in six seconds or less. I like working with my hands--it makes me feel alive--but I've really got no understanding of metal parts that fit together to make things happen.

I should find and enroll in a basic motorcycle maintenance course. I guess that would be a step in the right direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order