'once' more

I can't remember what I've already written about the movie 'once,' but I liked it as much the second time around. Before seeing it the first time, I think I'd read somewhere that it was a 'modern-day Irish musical,' but it's nothing like the musicals I've seen before. In Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music, music is this thing that interrupts life--the characters typically stop what they're doing in order to sing and dance. But in 'once,' music stands in as a metaphor, I think, for all of everything that binds us to others--it's not an interruption, but an integral part of what's already there. In the movie, music makes auditory all of those silent feelings and conflicts and hopes that swirl around us all the time when we talk to others. Maybe that's what music is all about generally, but the movie captures it well.

Take this sinking boat and point it home / We've still got time.

Comments

Kaijsa said…
That's one of the best lines from the song, I think. It's sad and hopeful at the same time, which is what makes it so strong. .

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order