star spangled banner

Something I keep forgetting to mention: a hockey game seems like a weird place to hear the "Star Spangled Banner" on a violin. It's the first time I've ever heard a violin play the anthem, and I have to say that I liked it. And once I got over the whole 'bull in a china shop' feeling, I actually thought it was pretty appropriate. I mean, those hockey dudes are seriously agile. Even under 30 pounds of pads they're elegant. Even when they're getting up from a full-body check they make it look easy to be out there on a sheet of ice.

It's a song about bombs bursting in air. On a violin. I won't say it brought me to tears. But I will say it moved me in a way that nationalism rarely does. At a game where they balance some of the most elegant motion in sports with knock-down, drag-it-out, punch-you-inna-face fighting. Good times. God bless America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order