Cold!

I cut my skiing short this morning because the wind was nasty. The sun is deceptively bright today, though, so I under-dressed for my walk downtown, too. At the Curiosity Shoppe I saw my friend Jess, who said the predicted high in Laramie today is 7. Looking at the positive side, discomfort builds character, and cold burns calories. Plus, I wanted to look cool.

Looking cool is a bit of a challenge for me. Okay, a lot of a challenge. I rarely think about the the low wardrobe expectations here in Laramie, and usually I view that as a positive. I mean, I love being able to teach in jeans and t-shirts. Grad students who've taught at other schools say they faced higher standards. Slowly I've been trying to increase the overall level of formality of my clothes, but my closet is spare of really classy outfits. Maybe that should be one of my resolutions: practice being classier.

In unrelated news, I'm watching yet another HGTV show about real estate prices. I wonder if shows like this will still be popular as housing prices tank. Maybe "My house is worth WHAT?" and "Flip that House" will survive as inspiring, entrepreneurial Cinderella stories. I find most talk of real estate depressing, for a variety of reasons. Most directly, it makes me realize that I can afford a 20-year-old mobile home and not much else. And, compared to other housing markets, Laramie is cheap. On the other hand, I also realize I need to be a bit more strategeric about earning and saving some money. Another resolution: develop a long-range plan for getting together a down payment and affording a house payment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order