at my fingertips

Here are some things that are withing my grasp:
- statistics on the reading habits of UK citizens. The number 2 book they don't finish is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- a bottle of Odwalla oj.
- hundreds of songs saved on my hard drive. and hundreds of pictures.
- 1.68 million potentially-relevant documents about "writing center privacy."
- the street addresses for five Target stores within five miles or so.
- the ability to register for a class in the spring, eliminate holds on my record, ask the instructor a question about a potential scheduling conflict.

I'm sitting at Caribou Coffee on a day off, part of my holiday break between semester. I'm rarely struck at the amount of information that is within grasp: I've grown--like most other people, I think--quite accustomed to the ease of access. But ten, or even five, years ago a lot of this information would've required a substantial amount more work. Fifty years ago (maybe a bit more?) even the bottle of orange juice would've been harder to access in the middle of winter in the Rockies.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ease of access. Like my friend Aaron and I were saying last night, information is abundant, but knowledge is still relatively scarce.

Comments

Kaijsa said…
"information is abundant, but knowledge is still relatively scarce"

Yeah, that's job security for me.

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order