small town hero

I played the role of super hero yesterday, donating a double unit of blood at the blood drive on campus. I even got a t-shirt out of the deal, one that says "I bleed brown and gold," part of the Border War competition between UW and CSU. I suspect the Rams out-donated us this year--the blood techs said they expected about 50 donors on Monday but that only 11 showed up. Turnout seemed to be better when I was there; another 8 people were waiting as I was in the process.

The nurse who set me up on the apheresis machine used to live in Sidney; her son was a student of mine when I taught there. And the girl who sat next to me in the waiting area (I was waiting to leave and drinking a juice while she was waiting to get in) has family in Newcastle; one of her relatives (grandma or a great aunt) was a long-term substitute when I was in fourth-grade. I think my regular teacher had broken her hip, so Mrs. Elliot stood in for her while she recovered. Small world, and I like it that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order