San Diego beach

So I'm not actually on the beach right now. But I was, yesterday morning, walking in my bare feet down the coast with my Uncle Rich, watching dogs running down the beach and kids playing the sand and a couple of dudes playing what looked to be "beach bocce."
Right now I'm sitting in the E Street Cafe in Encinitas, trying to capture what it is that I've done and seen and learned on this quick trip. The highlights include:
*taking the South Harbor tour and learning that the USNS Mercy is the largest hospital ship in the world, with the capacity for 1000 beds.
*realizing that I could actually WANT to live in a place like this, a place so different that Laramie and Wyoming and seasons and rural-ness and mountains.
* seeing Rembrandts and Monets and Manets with my aunt, an artist, who actually helped me appreciate some of the art I was looking at instead of just responding to it on a purely emotional level. Real artworks are cool. I'm trying to lay claim to a painting of rocks on a beach that Gail is working on. We'll see whether she sends it to me by Christmas or not...
* driving over the Coronado Bridge, driving through the streets of Coronado, and seeing the Coronado Del Mar.
*feeling the ocean breeze--on the boat, on the bridge, on the beach, and waking up to a cool ocean fog.
*realizing that I've potentially got 35 years of work ahead of me, more or less. That means a lot of time for exploring, and a lot of time building towards retirement, and a lot of time to develop and learn and become. It's a comfort, not a drag, to realize that I can spend a lot of time figuring out who I want to be, and where I want to be, and what I want to be.
*watching the Simpsons movie. "Hello. I'm Tom Hanks. The US government has lost its credibility so its borrowing some of mine." I like irreverent humor.
*checking out the Violent Femmes at the Del Mar Racetrack. "Let me go on ... Like I blister in the sun. Let me go on...." Actually, we didn't stick around for "Blister in the Sun." The set-up wasn't great, so we boogied from there over to some live jazz at Pemmican and ate some carrot cake instead. Live music: I like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order