Escape Act

So I suppose that maybe I've always liked books because they offer some chance to get out of this world. But I've never really thought of my reading as escapist until last night I started the Chronicles of Narnia, hoping that it would be engaging enough to make me forget, for the moment, the depressing pessimism and the sense of futility that's settled upon me.

So far, the plan is working. Digory and Polly are in the wood, trying to decide which world to go to next. Before their trip, Digory's uncle says, "Knowledge is never gained without some sacrifice." The story feels oddly familiar. (Of course, Dig's uncle says this as he tries to justify blowing up guinea pigs in his magic experiments. So I think that maybe old C.S. is being a bit critical of the idea that new learning must always come with pain to self or others. I'm not sure whether I'm inclined to agree or not, at this point.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is great info to know.

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order