that old chestnut

So this morning I'm thinking back to Luhrmann's song about sunscreen. Today the lines that come to me are these:

Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts,
Don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Two weeks ago Saturday I was driving through the Black Hills, watching a guy climb his way up the frozen Bridalveil Falls. A week ago Saturday I was in Phoenix in shorts and 95 degrees. Walking in short sleeves at 5 in the morning with grandpa, enjoying the stillness and the peace and the cool air and the life coursing through my veins.

And I guess it makes me think. The range of experience available to most of us is incredibly broad; earth, wind, fire, and ice are within reach. And yet it's hard, for me at least and lots of others too I suspect, to know how to fully live these experiences, how to move forward with conviction and appreciation and without regret for our actions which have caused hurt, caused division, caused doubt and fear and sorrow.

Which makes me think of some other lyrics--Travis Tritt this time:
I got rice cooking in the microwave
Got a three-day beard I don't plan to shave
And it's a goofy thing but I just gotta say
Hey, I'm doin' alright.
Yeah, I think I'll make some homemade soup
Feelin' pretty good and that's the truth
It's neither drink nor drug induced
No, I'm just doin' alright.

And the chorus:
It's a great day, to be alive
I know the sun's still shinin' when I close my eyes
There's some hard times in the neighborhood
But why can't every day be just this good?

It's a tough balance, sometimes, to live right and to live fully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order