I love the wave

I can't help it. There's something about 15,462 people, all of one mind, lifting their hands in the air, waiting for it to come around again, a bright gold sea of fans, doing the wave. Doing the wave. Doing the wave. And here it comes again: doing the wave.

All day long we work and communicate and collaborate and coordinate ourselves, trying to accomplish work that pushes forward our humanity. But stuck in our cubicles, our snow plows, our check-out stands, our home offices, it's so hard to see how it all fits together. Are we really working for the common good? Does our tiny contribution make a difference? Do our efforts really fit together to create a coherent pattern? As I lift my hands in the air along with several hundred people above and below me, and then watch as the motion carries on to our right, all of these questions are answered. The wave is a microcosm of society, an ephemeral happening, people joined together in solidarity, momentarily laying down their distractions and their differences and coming together. Even those four Wisconsin fans at the game mighta been joining in, I dunno.

You can't do the wave by yourself. I've tried it, it looks stupid. Whether we like it or not, we're in this together.

By the way: how 'bout them Cowgirls? (And, for the record: I'm not just a fairweather fan. I've been there all season long, cheering for the best bunch of team players I've ever seen. I'm not one of the 10,000 who have only appeared in the last week to cheer on the Cowgirls; I've been one of the 1500 who've been there all along. For the record. I heart Cowgirls.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order