Coffee shop

Tonight at the coffee shop I saw a girl who was in a class I student-taught at the high school here in Laramie, back in 2002. A Shakespeare class, when she was a junior I think. I didn't talk to her, but through her conversations I picked up on the fact that she's taking off tomorrow for San Diego. Apparently for an extended amount of time; obviously she was meeting with some friends to say goodbyes. Lots of hugging going on, a sense of parting. And I thought to myself, this could possibly be the first time she's really left Laramie. She grew up here, went to college here, now she's 22 or 23 probably, and maybe is the first time she's been away from what's familiar. And I wonder how sad she'll feel to be somewhere totally new, how much she'll miss those friends and those connections and all of her known world. Maybe I'm completely wrong--maybe she's spent lots of time away. But the way she was hugging her friends tonight, she looked like a girl scared of letting go. And excited too. It was a great thing to see.

Also at the coffee shop, a dude whose shirt read, "WTFWJD?" Which made me snicker. I can't quite figure out what I think is missing from contemporary Christianity, but I wish my pastor could show up on Sunday in a shirt like that. Irony, maybe--maybe that's what's missing.

Also at the coffee shop, a quote from the Edward Abbey book I'm reading. Here it is: [or, here it will be, when I remember to bring in the book and insert the quote here. If you just can't wait, it's about how none of us are really good enough for earth, but yet we spend our hopes for a perfect world beyond this. Only a lot more elegant than the way I said it, yeah.]

Okay, update. Here's the way he puts it: "Some among us have the nerve, the insolence, the brass, the gall to whine about the limitations of our earthbound fate and yearn for some more perfect world beyond the sky. We are none of us good enough for the world we have and yet we dream of Heaven." - from Appalachian Wilderness. See, I told you he said it a lot more elegantly than I did.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice quote!

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order