The shape of the future

So I was watching the football game the other day when a Target commercial came on. In the background was some song-ish-ness, a repeating of the phrase "Nothing can change the shape of the future." I wrote that down in my book of wisdom. But I don't interpret it in the positive sense--as in, there is some concrete future that we will necessarily grow into. Instead I read it as "Nothing can change the shape of the future, because the future has no shape." Imaging that our futures are concrete or certain is sorta like trying to create an ice sculpture from tap water--there is no solid form to work with.
This is part of my problem right now--I'm frustrated that the future I had imagined has suddenly vaporized. Somehow I'd expected that a promise guaranteed a certain shape to my future. And in fact, hopefully it is possible to guide the future into certain shapes--both at the individual level and at a larger, societal level. But being able to guide the future is much different that being able to guarantee it. Along with this realization comes a call within myself to be more adaptable--I'm discovering it may actually be limiting and dangerous to place too much hope and investment into a shape that is, ultimately, shifting and uncertain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

options

citizens arrest

out of order